But first, I captured this right before we left to take SC to Nonnie's for my appointment.
| That's Saylor girl giving baby Lincoln a "hug" |
My side of the story (I'm sure the others involved have a different story to tell):
I had been having contractions for about 2 weeks, but didn't really think they were anything. This drs office didn't want to check to see if I was dilated until right before I was due (pretty dumb to me), so I had no idea if I was or not.
I had a regular appointment on Monday April 14th (one week before my due date). It was in the afternoon, so I dropped Saylor girl off at Brent's mom's just like I had for every other appointment. I wasn't too excited since they had to induce me with Saylor a week late. I did the normal check in, wait, wait, wait. When I finally got back to see the dr, he began telling me all the ways I could help my labor to start. Walk. Drink plenty of liquids. And so on. Total waste. He had mentioned that if I was 4 cm or more that he would probably send me to the hospital. I didn't think that would be the case. Buuuut he checked me and was in disbelief that I was already 5 cm. I think it went something like this, "Wow, you are 5 cm.... Yeah, you are already at 5. You need to go to the hospital." Who knows what he said after that.
Wait. I can't go to the hospital yet because I'm not packed. We had been saying for weeks how we needed to pack. But never did. Stupid us. So the begging began.
Me: Can I just run home and get my stuff?
Dr: Uhhh
Me: I mean I don't have anything but the clothes on my back.
Dr: I don't really recommend you driving.
Me: I drove here. I'm fine.
Dr: But you could go into labor at home. Or while you are driving. Then what would you do?
Me: I have nothing. I'll just run in and get a few things.
Dr: Uhhhh
Me: Well my husband's parents just live 15 minutes away (we live at least 45). Can I just go there so I can leave my car there? (We would have 2 cars at the hospital if not)
Dr: (Leaves then comes back) I really don't think you should leave. You can do whatever you want, but you know if you go home, you will probably have the baby at home. (He also knew that if I stayed, it would probably be hours before I had him. That's just how it seems to work.)
Sigh. I took his advice and stayed. He said they would call transport to take me to the hospital (it is attached to the dr office.
Now to let Brent know he needs to leave work and come to the hospital (also with nothing but the uncomfortable work clothes he was wearing). Call. No response. (I even left a message). Text. No response. Call again x10. Nothing. Text some more. Seriously. Well you see, he works in a building where he may or may not (in our case) get cell service. I know it wasn't his fault but I'm sure some of the messages/texts went something like this: "It's ok. I'm going in to have your baby. But don't worry about returning my call." Or "I hope I don't have this baby before you get here." So I texted his sister (who works at the same place BUT gets service apparently) and thankfully she was working that day. She had him call me and I told him the big news. I'm sure he stayed calm, cool, and collected as usual. We discussed him going home to get the things we needed, but I decided
against it. It was the whole "If he comes straight here, nothing will happen, but if he goes home, I'll have the baby while he's gone" thing. I wasn't willing to risk it. He also called his mom and let her know Saylor would be spending the night (traumatic for me because she had never spent the night away AND she didn't have any of the stuff that I had "started" packing for her).
While trying to get Brent on the phone, I was also talking to my mom. Long story short, she was on her way home from work, so she cut over on the interstate and came to the hospital to get our house key so she could round up some things we needed.
Lesson #1 Pack for your hospital stay WEEKS in advance. Or at least right before your dr appointment.
Lesson #2 Give a friend or family member a key to your house.
I waited (an eternity) for transport services to pick me up at the dr office and wheel me to the hospital part (it was all connected). In my head when the dr said transport services would come get me, I envisioned having to be wheeled outside on a stretcher and taken in an ambulance. ha So once again I'm begging him to let me just walk over there. I'm not crippled people! What REALLY happened is a man wheeled me through some halls in a wheelchair. Since I was taken by the hospital staff, I was wheeled right into a room without having to wait. THEY were waiting on me. Win!
After I arrived, everything proceeded as normal. I changed, Brent was able to come back (and Mom), they hooked me up to some pitocin, broke my water, etc. I didn't hesitate to sign the form to get an epidura!. I was pretty sure I would get one, I just didn't know when. I didn't wait as long as I did with SC. When I started feeling like I couldn't take the pain anymore, I called anesthesia in. It seems like this labor & delivery was sooo very similar to my labor with Saylor. EXCEPT I labored (not to be decieiving, I didn't do anything but sleep and talk and lay there during this time, not actually "laboring"-I had already gotten the epidural) through the night this time. AND I totally remember EVERYTHING from this delivery (unlike with SC-Brent has to tell me what happened). I don't know that official time, but I think I only pushed for 30-45 minutes. I feel as though I am blessed in the area. Might I mention that WHILE, yes WHILE, I was pushing the dr was repeatedly telling her resident (?) that I wouldn't be able to do it. His head was too big. Uh have you seen my other kid? His head was turned the wrong way. So was my other kid. How rude is that? And the nurse that was counting was counting.so.slow. I almost told her to count faster because I couldn't hold my breathe for that long. (Later, Brent told me she was doing that on purpose :) But I did it (just to prove that dr wrong).
And the big guy was born (a week early) at 6:59 (I think) am. Tax Day. 8 lb 1 oz. 21.5 inches. Big head.
| He still has a mark from that lead on his belly :( And he still makes that oh so sad face |
| "I can't open my eyes" hahahaha |
| Daddy got his boy. Now we are even. Better keep it that way :) |
| I'd say he's a bit proud. |
| Another grandboy for Nina. Another little to spoil. |
I couldn't get my hands on my sweet girl fast enough. This mama wasn't not prepared to let my firstborn spend the night away just yet!
| "THAT'S what you meant by baby brother??!!" |
| I think she's glad to see me, too! |
| Wonder who took this one?!?! Just look back at SC's birth pictures to find out. |
| Warming up |
| Add caption |
| She just happened to be loving "This little piggy..." at the time |
| At least I'm looking |
| Nonnie's first grandson |
| Ditto for Poppa |
Quick note on our departure:
Lincoln and I have disagreeable blood ( i made that up, but he did have some non-major blood issue). So they checked his bilirubin (by pricking his foot) every 5 hours. His levels were questionable, so they thought he was going to have to stay at the hospital under "the lamp" while I was going to be discharged. That sounded pretty horrible to me since we live so far away. The Lord was gracious and his levels were good enough for him to go home with us!! Praise the Lord! I couldn't wait to go get my baby girl!
Another note: Saylor girl is an itty bitty, but when I picked her up at mom's house (she spent the last night and day there) she looked huge! Her hands looked huge and she felt so heavy! It was so weird. Thanks to mom and Brent's family for taking care of the baby girl while we were in the hospital!
We can't believe we are blessed with 2 sweet kiddos!
And lastly, pictures from my phone. It's too complicated to insert them where they go. (Or I'm just too lazy.)
| I posted this so the FB world would know LS had arrived. |
| Ha Silly face |
| There's that lip again. |
| He's got his arms up like Sister used to sleep. (Maybe all babies do this??) |
No comments:
Post a Comment